"Get fit, in association with London 2012" is a compilation album designed for use with a workout. I've come across hundreds of compilation albums before, but this is a new idea for me - an album designed to tie in with your workout. The idea is that the tracks, played in the correct order rather than on random play, gradually increase in tempo before slowing down, so if you exercise in time to the music then you start out gradually, work up to a peak and then gradually cool down.
The songs all have a good strong bass beat to them - essential for a fitness class to be able to keep time with the music easily. There is a mix of musical eras with songs from the '80s as well as current chart acts. The CD also containts an informative fold out poster booklet gives you useful training tips.
So is this a good album or not? I think it might be good for fitness classes or people planning to do aerobics etc at home, but that's a pretty small market really. For general listening I'm not really convinced by it - the mix of songs from different time periods, and quite different bands could well prove to be a problem - a compilation made up only of current acts or only 80s acts would probably appeal to more people than this.
There are some great tracks here, but if you've got many compilation albums then you'll probably have quite a few of these tracks. If there are any tracks here you dislike then the album simply wont work for you - there's no point having an album designed around a workout program if you're likely to skip some of the tracks.
The verdict? Probably a good purchase for fitness instructors, and for fitness fans who like these songs, but for everyone else I'd give this a miss unfortunately.
1. Taio Cruz – Dynamite - Radio Edit
2. Noisettes - Don't Upset The Rhythm (Go Baby Go) - Radio Edit
3. Bobby Brown - Two Can Play That Game - K Klassik Radio Mix
4. CeCe Peniston - Finally Album Version
5. Brothers In Rhythm - Such A Good Feeling - Radio Mix
6. Yazz, The Plastic Population - The Only Way Is Up
7. Sugababes - Hole In The Head - Clean Radio Edit
8. Bodyrockers - I Like The Way - Radio Edit
9. Pixie Lott - Boys And Girls - Album Version
10. The Hughes Corporation - What A Feeling - Radio Edit
11. Tiffany - I Think We're Alone Now - Album Version
12. The Saturdays - Just Can't Get Enough - Radio Mix
13. Sonique - It Feels So Good - Radio Edit
14. Daniel Bedingfield - Gotta Get Thru This - Radio Edit
15. Girls Aloud - Jump
16. Donna Summer - She Works Hard For The Money – Edited Single Version
17. Michael Sembello - Maniac
18. Lighthouse Family – Lifted